There has been a public house on this site since around 1750 but the original building was demolished in 1953 to widen the Wroxham Road and the current Blue Boar was built further back.
Norfolk is a county rich in lavish country estates including Sandringham, a favourite retreat of the Queen (open to visitors when the royal family are not in residence) as well a large number of National Trust properties.
David Turnbull has joined an illustrious line of long serving landlords:
|Thomas Olyott||1830 - 1865||John Desborough||1904 - 1918|
|John William Blyth||1923 - 1947||Frank Britt||1962 - 1979|
|David Turnbull||1979 to present time|
The Blue Boar has always been a focal point of the local community as well as an excellent venue for events. Below is a menu from a 'Welcome Home Dinner' in 1919 for the soldiers returning from 'The Great War'.
Wroxham Road, 1836
The sign for the Blue Boar public house stands on the left, but the pub itself is on the right-hand side. Notice the postman standing under the signpost and the old style telegraph posts. The road to the right is Church Lane. Today the Blue Boar public house has been rebuilt and stands back from the road. Photographed looking towards the city centre.